Thursday 4 November 2010

Are you a writer?


Tell me if you do this, and be honest -

1.)Do you tell anyone that you are a writer? Or is it the last thing on your list of skills or attributes?

2.)Do you confess to being a writer but - (a)immediately point out that you're not published or anything or
(b)feel that you should be apologising for making such a claim?

For over a year now, that's exactly what I've been doing. Yep. Every single one of the above. And really, I'm ashamed of myself. Why has it been so difficult for me to say 'Hi, my name is Pip and I'm a writer'? Because that's what I am. Anyone who writes anything, whether it's published or not, be it random thoughts, a poem, a limerick, a 200,000 word epic or a three line joke, is instantly a WRITER. Oh yes, they are. It isn't some terrible vice or shameful secret. It is a skill, a talent, a bonus.

It can be a torture and a joy. It can be pain and pleasure. It can wile away a sunny, peaceful afternoon or shake you sweating and panicked from the middle of a dream. Writing is living.

There is nothing worse than a blank page and an empty mind, or a piece of prose that falls flat to my ears. There is nothing greater than filling that page, or reading it back and feeling that tremor of excitement, that euphoria of having chosen exactly the right words to convey the image or emotion. It's like the touch of sunlight on cold, bare skin.

I'm not expecting to be the next JK Rowling. Right now, I don't even see myself being published at all - at least, not in the traditional manner. But that's ok. Even knowing that just a handful of people have had some pleasure from reading my work is a satisfaction. Completing three books over the last 15 months was more than I had ever hoped to achieve. Because it has taught me one thing. I now know for sure that I AM....wait for it....A WRITER!

Be proud - say it out loud!

Special thanks have to go to all the inspirational peeps that I have met and friended over these 15 months who have given me the confidence to admit to my addiction. Thanks! You are all amazing.

To find some really inspirational writers and creators, follow me on Twitter (@happarose197) and meet them all.

2 comments:

I always love to hear your thoughts.