Wednesday 3 August 2011

Hitting 40

For some people, turning 40 is the beginning of the long, slow slide toward old age, senility, and death. Whoops, sorry, was that a bit strong? :-P


What does it mean for me? Mostly, it's just another number. My younger sister will take the mickey that I've reached another 'landmark' before her. My husband already considers me to have hit my mid-life crisis two years ago when I dyed my hair for the first time, got my first tattoo and started street dance classes at the same time as diving into a writing frenzy. It's only recently that I've taken note myself of the fact that I'm not eighteen any more. But I have even more reason to celebrate my birthday this year.

For one thing, my first book is going to be published. Squeeee! Okay, not until April 2012 (fingers crossed!), but the wheels are moving. Less than two years after writing it I'm pretty stunned to be thinking about being a published author rather than just an aspiring one. As my sister said, that's the kind of birthday present that's hard to beat! :)

And for my bonus gift, I get to fulfil one of my lifetime ambitions (aside from the publishing one). A trip to Linton Zoo to feed lemurs. Lemurs! Another squeee! I LOVE lemurs. Especially the red ruff lemur. At my local zoo in Colchester you have to take a train ride to see the lemurs up close. This time, I'll get REALLY close. Apparently they jump on you. I can't wait! (and I'll post pics. Lots and lots of pics!)

I'm also hoping to save up enough money to buy a Kindle. I have to admit to having a rather sceptical view of ebooks until recently. I much prefer a print book. But since my own will be coming out in electronic form, it seems only right that I should have the medium on which to read it. Right?


And then I bought myself this gorgeous digital print. Isn't it beautiful? This is done by a friend of mine, Trée George, and you can click on the image to see it, and many others, on his website.


I also fulfilled another ambition by getting to wear a sari for the Colchester Carnival. It's been a good year for achievements. :)


All in all, turning forty IS a big landmark for me, but it's not about my age. It's about the things I have to celebrate aside from making it to the big four-o. And having the people I care about here to share it with me. :)




So what did you do for the big four-o? Or is it so far away that you wonder what all the fuss is about? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts.