Saturday 31 October 2015

#ScienceFiction #Fantasy Saturday - Welcome to the afterlife! #FREE #YA #zombie #paranormal


Welcome to a Halloween edition of #sffsat! To celebrate the spooky holiday and all things supernatural, my YA zombie novella - Restless In Peaceville - is free for the 30th and 31st of October, a story that my editor described as 'adorable'. Yep, that's not a typo! Apparently she's even been reading it to her 8th grade students, who were loving it. So today I'm sharing part of the opening, where my young hero has found himself standing in a long line of people in a huge gray hall stretching to infinity for no reason he can recall. He's a little freaked out. WARNING: he swears a lot. But then, you probably would do too in this situation...

I lean out of the line, but duck back in quickly because I can't believe what I just saw. There's a fucking demon walking down the line. I'm not kidding. An actual demon, with glowing red eyes, horns and all, dressed in a suit. Shit, an actual suit, with a shirt and tie, and huge ruby cufflinks at its wrists. Like the devil went shopping in Armani. And the suit fits so perfectly the damn thing must have got it special ordered. For an instant I imagine that scene, trying to pull myself away from what must be insanity. No way did I just see that. I've gotta be hallucinating or something.
The demon starts talking to the guy in front of me and I can't tear my attention away. This is some weird shit dream.
"Welcome to the afterlife, I'm your check in assistant for eternity. Name?"

I hope you enjoyed that (and don't judge my teen hero too harshly). You can download the full novella for FREE from Amazon until the end of the 31st of October.

A YA Zombie Novella
Goodreads | Amazon (inc KU)
In the meantime, check out the other participants in Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday by clicking on the link under the banner below.

Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday

4 comments:

  1. Great character voice! Even in this short snippet, the narrator's personality really shines through. I just love the image of a demon shopping in Armani XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...didn't see that last line coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the description of the demon - somehow, it doesn't surprise me that demons wear Armani suits!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts.