Monday 18 January 2016

Meet the #Author Monday - Jayne Fury #scifi #romance




Please tell us a bit about yourself:

I was born in suburban NY, I moved West because I’m claustrophobic. I’m left handed, I reckoned the left coast would work out. I’ve lived out here since I finished uni where I studied modern language to be a teacher. I did a year in Italy for that at the American University of Rome. I first moved to the desert Southwest which was lovely but hot. Damn hot. Now I’m in the damp and temperate Pacific Northwest where I hike whenever I can and keep chickens on my little urban “farm”. I’m a graphic designer by trade and do all of my own book covers.
Factoids: I had a lunar lander on my 7th birthday cake because the men had walked on the moon only the day before… for the first time. This Christmas my grown children got me Star Trek admiral pips. TNG, in case you were wondering. I have a strong sense of whimsy reflected by the Star Trek garden gnomes that sit on my desk reminding me to write or die. The gnome Gorn is especially convincing.  I have an obsession with colored pens. I was once a personal chef.

I blog as often as I can about women and archetypes in a series called Femme Friday (jaynefury.com) and invite other authors to guest and talk about their strong female characters. Check us out on Fridays at the blog.

In 2013 I walked from Léon to Santiago de Campostela, Spain. I am headed back this Spring to go from St Jean Pied de Port, France back to Santiago. It’s a long walk along the ancient pilgrimage trail of St James. I have been gathering materials for a historical romance series set along The Way. Also, it’s a great excuse to eat jamon and cheese all day and not gain weight.

I perform and sing with my ukulele and my best friend the author Mel Greatheart, in Tacoma’s one and only Ukulele Sing-a-long Circus. It’s the most fun you can have with your clothes on.


Tell us about Freedom Bound, your serialized SFR:

Freedom Bound is Firefly meets Buck Rogers with a bit of boudoir. Expect campy pulpy SciFi romance full of explosions, butt kicking women, and sexy times. Because it’s set in a larger universe, it’s space opera, too! In the Prologue, we meet Corrie Scott, an ex fighter jock late of Frobisher Corp, who’s been made redundant and now--after a lifetime of being a corporate asset--must find her way on her own. In subsequent episodes, she ends up inheriting a ship, Coriander, and with it all the troubles that ownership and independence brings. The ship comes from a father, a mysterious figure in her past. Eventually, Corrie meets Mateu Parker. Mat’s got troubles of his own. Together they must battle through ridiculous red tape, space pirates, and backstabbing double crosses. Each episode reveals another twist and dip in the roller coaster ride.

Why a serial?


It’s being released as a serial because it’s got elements of pulpy campy scifi traditionally done in serial format and I wanted to stay true to genre. Also, it’s my first time self publishing and I wanted to learn the platform and the business while having fun and growing an audience.

Most people are reading on their electronic libraries. They have between 20 minutes and an hour to commute, less than half an hour for lunch, and very little time to sit and read when they get home. I wanted to present a serial that could be enjoyed in small “lunchbox” sized bites. Each release has a part of the larger story but there is always a conflict to be resolved before the cliffhanger starts us onto the next problem.

My next serial episode is coming up in February, Freedom Bound: Albatross. I’m super excited because my two characters blow off a little steam! Oh! and you get to know more about their pasts. There’s also a nice long exposure to the worldbuild.


What inspired you to write this particular story?:

I wanted to write against stereotypical romance heroine and put forth a strong independent female character. Freedom Bound is part of a larger series, Solar Flame, set in the same universe with the central characters being “Bodice Ripping Ninjas in Space”.  I have had the universe rumbling around in my head now for over ten years, it was time to get it out there.

This genre is so full of amazing serialized space opera stories and I knew it was high time for this one. I’m a big time fan of Lois McMasters Bujold’s Vorkosigan Saga, Doc Savage, Star Wars, David Weber’s Honor Harrington, and Mercedes Lackey. I wrote collaborative fanfic for years in the Star Trek genre as an award winning group leader in various fantasy fleets on the internet. I enjoyed it so much and was encouraged by everyone I wrote with to “write your stories!”  

Please share a favourite snippet from your book: LANGUAGE WARNING!

“All I wanted was a fuck, not a philosophy lesson.”

Which comes first for you – a character's looks, personality or name?:

Name. Names come first, absolutely. I love to think up names. I collect them on a page in my bulletjournal so when I hear a gorgeous name or an unusual one or one that sounds particularly lyrical I write it down. That includes place names, too. .

Any tips for aspiring authors?:

Write! Read Stephen King’s On Writing. Read! Read tons of the genre that you want to write in. Be fearless. Take all criticisms as a lesson. But remember to write for you, what you want to read and not what everyone thinks you should be writing.


If you had the power of time travel, is there anything you would go back and change? Why/why not?:

I wish I was as much of a student of history as some. I think what I’d really like to do if I were to go back in time would be just to meet the groundbreaking adventuring women of the past like Nellie Bly, Gertrude Bell, Renata Chlumska, Lady Hay, Amelia Earhart, Harriet Chalmers Adams, Freya Stark (oh Freya!), Mary Kingsley… the list goes on and on! I would tell them thank you and to take heart because the change they longed to bring about will come, maybe not in their lifetime but they’re setting the groundwork for generations to come.

What super-power would you choose?:

Mind reading. I always want to know what people are thinking. I’m nosy. If i can’t read minds, I want to be able to become invisible so I can listen to private conversations. Yup, nosy.

If you could have three wishes, what would they be?:
To eat as much as I want of my favorite foods and not gain weight.
That religious differences be seen as a bridge to dialogue.
To feed and clothe and put a safe warm dry roof over everyone all over the world.


Coffee, tea or wine?:
Yes, please.

What is your favourite book? (aside from one of your own!):

Frances Hodgson Burnett’s A Little Princess because it’s a fairy tale and it makes me cry and Sara Crewe is the bravest and smartest girl in the world. *sigh* Yeah I know, big bad author with strong female protagonists melts at girly pink book about fantasy and make-believe and story telling and stories that become real when you’re strong enough and believe enough. And magic. Go figure.

Favourite genre and why?:
Steampunk because it’s funky and full of inventions. And corsets.

Favourite colour?:
Bright turquoise.

Upcoming news and plans for the future?:
Look for Episode 5: Albatross of Freedom Bound out at the beginning of February! And sign up for my newsletter so you can get special discounts on new releases that only newsletter recipients get! You can sign up at jaynefury.com

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us!

Jayne Fury is a SCIFIROM author who writes pulpy serials about bodice ripping ninjas in space. She lives on her urban farm in the Pacific Northwest with her three cats, five chickens and extremely tolerant husband. If asked, she will deny that she's creating nest in her office out of old socks and wooly pooffs. She is also a performer in Tacoma's one and only Ukulele Sing-a-long Circus. Her project, FREEDOM BOUND,  is currently publishing on Amazon.com

Where to find Jayne!
Website & Blog: www.jaynefury.com
Amazon Author Page: Jayne Fury’s Author Page
Twitter: jaynefury
Facebook: JayneFury
Instagram: JayneFury





No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts.