Wednesday 20 April 2016

Read Only Wednesday - Many Genres One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction #writing

Read only Wednesday is when I highlight a book I'm reading, just read, or added to my TBR pile. This week it's a craft book rather than a reading book: Many Genres One Craft. I'm not a huge reader of writing craft books, not because I don't think I have anything to learn (there's always something more to learn in writing) but because in general I'll hunt for blog posts on a specific topic/area I'm stuck on. However, I was lucky enough to be gifted Many Genres which happened to have a couple of chapters on subjects that I was struggling with. Serendipity?

Award-winning authors Michael A. Arnzen and Heidi Ruby Miller gather the voices of today's top genre writers and writing instructors alongside their published students. Many Genres, One Craft fosters the writing process in a way that focuses almost exclusively on writing the novel. Using a compilation of instructional articles penned by well-known authors affiliated with Seton Hill University's acclaimed MFA program in Writing Popular Fiction, the book emphasizes how to write genre novels and commercially appealing fiction. The articles are modeled after actual "learning modules" that have successfully taught students in the program how to reach a wider audience for over a decade.

Award-winning and best-selling contributors from a spectrum of genres and literary careers offer their sage advice, including David MorrellTess GerritsenVictoria ThompsonNancy KressShelley BatesMaria V. SnyderJason Jack MillerThomas MonteleoneSusan Mallery, and over fifty other published authors, teachers, and alumni, as well as special guest agents and editors who have visited the program. Divided into three parts--Craft, Genre, and The Writer's Life--the book provides advice on everything from point-of-view to writing media tie-in novels to marketing romance, all from writers who have actually done it.


Amazon, 384 pages $9.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts.