Wednesday 27 April 2011

Writing Wednesday #6

For this week's helpful tips, a couple of articles that were sent to me by a friend and one that caught my eye on the 'show don't tell' rule.

First - Passive voice - Killing your prose softly - Grammar Divas suggest you start by dropping the passive voice from your writing. Write instead with the dynamic active voice.

Second - 6 Things you need to know about 'Was' - “Was” can be your best friend or your worst enemy. It all depends on how you use it in fiction writing.

Third - Telling isn't all bad - “Show, don’t tell.” You’ve heard this advice over and over. And you’ve made these three words into a writing mantra because, of course, you want to write a great story. But the thing is, you can’t show your entire novel.

All three articles are posted by the Grammar Divas with plenty more helpful info on grammar for fiction writers - well worth a look. :)

And as an extra bonus, another article that caught my eye having just revamped my basic query letter, and that may help you with yours. (As a note - I don't do form letters. Each is tailored to the agent/publisher, but I have a set format that I adapt at need). - One Paragraph or LessLink

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Pippa, I have added Grammar Divas to my faves to pour over later.
    Are you thinking of posting your query letter?
    PS - this is the third time I have tried to post a comment so apologies if it comes up more than once!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts.