Wednesday 2 November 2011

There's no such word as "can't" ...

That's the key thing I've learned while writing. The past year has proved that to me. I've hit milestones I never imagined I would ever see. Not just in my writing, but in my personal development too. But enough about me ... :-P

Of course the word "can't" exists. The phrase "there's no such word as ..." refers more to a state of mind. Of how we can convince ourselves, or allow those around us, to believe that the desires and dreams we have are unattainable. Foolish. Unrealistic and doomed to failure should we try. I've seen far too many people dragged down and held back by that fear. I've let it hold me down too.

Perhaps we do need to be realistic about things, to hold the thought that failure IS a possibility, but we shouldn't allow it to stop us trying. To try is to fail, but trying is equally the only way to success.

“To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

I have to remind myself of that every time I attempt something that could fail. Rejection hurts, but if I don't make a submission then there's no chance of acceptance. So prepare yourself for the pain knowing that it could come, but that it could just as easily be joy. Every writer has been there. Every writer has been through it. If, like me, you have a wide community of writing friends then you know you have a shoulder to cry on if that rejection comes. Equally, you'll have a round of applause for the acceptance.

Don't let it hold you back. Don't let it stop you. If all else fails, sheer stubbornness can get you through. :)


“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.” Mary Anne Radmacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts.