Saturday 12 November 2011

Emerging from the cave.

Oh, wow! There's a whole world out there! And light! lol.

Sorry for the long silence, folks. I received my first round of edits from my fabulous editor and wow! they were intensive. :-o They also arrived on the first day of half-term holiday in the UK, so I had a week with all three children at home - not the most conducive working environment. Also hot on the heels of a rejection - tsk, Mondays!


Being a newbie to the whole business the edits came as a huge shock, and I have to admit to being a bit intimidated by the scale of them. However, I'm always up for a challenge, and after a little wobble and lots of emails to my beleagured editor, I got going with them. I have to say I learned a heck of a lot in the process and - fingers crossed - I'll make fewer mistakes the next time around. I saw more clearly what my strengths and weaknesses are. I had to change things I never thought would ever change, but I do think the story is much stronger overall.

Of course, I've still got to hear back from my editor to see if she agrees. I think it all has to be done and in by the end of November, and since I had to ask for extra time on this round (something I really didn't want to do but became inevitable), I'm hoping any other issues will be minor by comparison. Otherwise Keir will get bumped from May until August.

In the meantime - I had a gig at the Brixton O2 watching one of my fave bands live - Within Temptation. Woo hoo! The edits meant I didn't get time to make the fab coat I had planned, but there's always next time. In two weeks I get to see the fabulous Lacuna Coil in my own home town.

Hopefully I can back to blogging a bit more regularly after the hiatus. And once Keir is 'off', it's back to the SFR short for a fellow author's anthology, and then back to submitting my scifi novella Gethyon. That should take me up until the end of the year at least.

After that? Hmmm.... A series from Keir seems less likely at the moment, but I've been playing with the idea of 'myths meeting scifi' for another story, one entirely separate from the others I've done so far. One thing I love about writing is I never know for sure what will come next ... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts.