Tuesday 30 July 2013

Sculptures and Spidercrabs

Yeah, an odd title I know, but it'll make sense. Eventually anyhow.

Back in May, I was lucky enough to see a very gifted friend - Ian Peaston - play at the Brighton Fringe, the second time I'd seen him perform. This time he was appearing solo as Violin Variations (you can read my post One Man, a Violin, and a Laptop here).



Me, outside the Brighton Royal Pavilion
It was also a rare opportunity for my husband and I to have some time away from our three little monsters, so we took full advantage. With Ian performing in Brighton, we booked a place to stay in Hastings. Neither of us had ever been, and since the road we live in is named after the infamous Battle of Hastings - where King Harold fell to William the Conqueror in 1066 - it seemed appropriate.

Sunset over the beach


Stainless steel Winkle statue




Spidercrab
Aside from having an interesting wander around Hastings (I loved the stainless steel sculptures we found) and enjoying a very tasty but late dinner in a local Italian restaurant, it was the beach that fascinated me. Here in Essex, we have broad sandy beaches at Frinton-on-Sea, pebbles at Walton-on-the-Naze, and gravel and mud at Mersea. Shellwise, you'll see a lot of oysters at Mersea (it's famous for it), and maybe cockles and mussel. Hastings has a gravel beach, but the thing that caught my eye the most were the spidercrab shells. We mostly have shore crabs in Essex, so the long, spindly legs of the spidercrab made a big contrast. Funny how it's the little things that can remind you you're somewhere different.

So sculptures and spidercrabs. Told you the title would make sense eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts.