Thursday 6 March 2014

Look Out, The #Zombies Are Coming! #YA #undead #supernatural #romance

In case you missed the announcement over on Spacefreighters Lounge yesterday, I've just signed a contract with Lycaon Press for my YA paranormal romance that I wrote during NaNoWriMo, working title RIP. Now, I can guess what some of you are thinking. Zombies and romance?! Eww?! What is Pippa thinking?!

Some of you already know about my zombies, and how they aren't going to be all Night of the Living Dead or World War Z. I was pretty set on not writing the cinema portrayal, and went back to investigate the whole brain-eating myth. I'd come across zombie stories that weren't like that, and after asking around on Facebook I learned that image actually started with George A. Romero's film Night of the Living Dead. That's not what Houdoo zombies are like. In fact, anyone familiar with Terry Pratchett's zombies (Reg Shoe from the Nightwatch books, Baron Samedi in Witches Abroad and Windle Poons from Reaperman) know a bit more about that original kind of zombie. The brain eating, mindless monster is a more recent kind of thing, and not what I was aiming for.

There is a touch of horror in the story - it's a paranormal with undead characters after all - but I promise you it's sweet, dark and tortured, but not ewww. Well, not much... :P Can't wait to see it unleashed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts.